MOIMOI is a sustainable leather bags and accessories brand based in Helsinki. The brand believes in traditional craftsmanship, durable materials and clean designs. If you seek for timeless, beautiful bags and accessories for everyday use this is the right brand for you. Behind this beautiful brand is a Spanish designer Raquel Alonso Miranda.
Raquel was born in Vigo, in a city east west of Spain where she also graduated as a Master of Arts. During these studies she spent one year as an exchange student in Finland. Despite all the countries with their well-known fashion capitals, how did she end up choosing Finland?
– I was studying a Master of Arts so most of the schools we could go were more Art oriented. I chose Finland because of the school that I was able to learn more about textile, clothing design and traditional techniques like weaving, dying, leather handcrafts or hats felting.
MOIMOI was born as a final project but it wasn’t always clear that it would be exclusively an accessories brand.
– When I made the final study project in Barcelona I planned a clothing brand. Also the first MOIMOI collection in 2010 was accessories and clothing. After this collection I felt more comfortable making accessories and I started experimenting with leather. Finally in 2011 I launched the first only accessories collection.
Main materials used in the collections are reindeer leather from Lapland, cow leather from Spain, finnish birch wood and water based colors for the fabric printing. While studying in Finland Raquel developed a special interest in Scandinavian functional design. It all goes back to a certain exhibition at the famous Helsinki Design Week.
– I started to appreciate the clean designs when I came to Helsinki for the first time on a school trip. It was the Helsinki Design Week and I went to the Cable Factory to see a product and furniture design exhibition. I immediately liked all the simple forms and the use of wood. Later on, when I made the project in Barcelona I came back to this idea and I got the main inspiration from Scandinavian architecture and furniture design books.
Raquel is the designer and the founder of MOIMOI but she hasn’t built the brand alone. Kalle Järveläinen is a co-founder and a partner of MOIMOI and together they wanted to create something tangible, something that lasts long. How did they meet?
– We met here in Helsinki at the time I was making an internship at IVANA Helsinki. Nowadays Kalle is taking care of the online presence and graphics and recently we started to design the first men bags together.
MOIMOI was established in 2010 and the brand has been slowly growing ever since. Nowadays you can find their products in shops around Finland, Spain and even in Japan. What are they working on at the moment?
– I just presented the new products for the next SS15, so production is the next step and also preparing for a promising Christmas Campaign.